Become a Workplace Drug and Alcohol Tester.
HLTPAT005 – Collect specimens for drugs of abuse testing
Identify and manage people under the influence of drugs and alcohol.
People presenting to work under the influence of drugs or alcohol present a real risk to workplaces. When fitness for work is affected there is an increased risk of workplace accidents and incidents and often there is an association with reduced workplace morale and culture. Compliance with workplace safety laws can be jeopardised and important workplace contracts can be put at risk through people presenting unfit for work.
Know how to test in the workplace, and a lot more.
- Know how to complete urine, oral and alcohol breath testing, including confirmation testing requirements and chain of custody procedures.
- Understand workplace drug and alcohol testing including policy and procedures, relevant legislation and selecting and using the right equipment for your program.
- Understand how to implement a program and maintain testing processes of the highest standard.
- Understand how to educate your workforce on their responsibilities.
Great course, Stephanie was very engaging, informative and helpful. Catered for all learning needs. Would recommend.
Our initial enquiries and the booking process were extremely easy and we always received a prompt response. The attendees were very happy with the training provided, especially the presenter.
Australian Industry Trade College
The trainer was amazing, very informative! I was impressed with the content and delivery of the training.
What You Will Learn
Being able to effectively and efficiently deliver drug and alcohol testing programs allows you to significantly impact the health, safety and wellbeing of your workplace. This practical, hands on course will give you the right skills and knowledge to deliver and implement these programs. The skills you will learn are:
- How to perform a saliva drug test
- How to perform a urine drug test
- How to perform a breath alcohol test
- How to perform confirmation testing and chain of custody procedures
- How to implement a drug and alcohol testing program and educate your workforce
- Understanding of relevant Australian Standards and Legislation
- Understanding of drug and alcohol testing related issues and how to deal with them (communication, employee reaction, considerations for policy and procedures)
On successful completion you will be awarded the nationality accredited unit of competency HLTPAT005 Collect specimens for drugs of abuse testing (delivered and assessed on behalf of Trainwest RTO 51807).
The KINNECT Training Guarantee
Attend any public course as a refresher 12 months after completing this course for no extra cost. KINNECT Training wants you to be confident and capable in your role in workplace drug and alcohol testing. Within 12 months of completing your workplace drug testing course you are welcome to confirm your knowledge by attending any scheduled public face to face course for Workplace Drug and Alcohol Testing – it’s on us! (Subject to course availability)
Face to face
The complete course done in 1 day –
- Comprehensive theory presentation
- Hands on practical drug and alcohol testing
- Lunch included
Online Theory Component
- 3-4 hours to complete – Must be completed prior to practical
Practical Component Options
To complete the practical component you have the below options to choose from:
- Option 1 – Face to Face Practical
- Book your practical face to face component at one of our scheduled courses (allow 3-4 hours)
- Option 2 – Webinar + Video Submission
- Organise a webinar introduction (1-2 hours – we’ll send you out a training kit to use for this session)
- Submit 3 videos of you conducting a breath alcohol, saliva and urine test on 3 different people in your workplace
- Option 3 – Webinar + Workplace Practical
- Organise a webinar introduction (1-2 hours – we’ll send you out a training kit to use for this session)
- Complete the practical assessment testing with a qualified drug and alcohol tester in your workplace
- *Supervisor requirements – the activities undertaken in the workplace need to be supervised by a person currently working in a collection role for at least 18 hours in a fortnight time period. A declaration of the activities being undertaken is required.
HLTPAT005 Collect specimens for drugs of abuse testing
Successful completion of this Drug and Alcohol Screening course will result in the awarding of the nationally accredited unit of competency HLTPAT005 Collect specimens for drugs of abuse testing. This unit has been designed to specifically cater for drugs of abuse testing in the workplace and other settings such as hospitals and health care centres.
KINNECT Training delivers and assesses this program on behalf of Trainwest (RTO#51807) and the Statement of Attainment will be issued by Trainwest.
Become an Accredited Drug and Alcohol Tester
This course is suited to those people wanting to be able to perform drug and alcohol screening at their workplace or provide testing services to industry. This applies to individuals working in includes all industries such as health care environments, transport, manufacturing, mining, construction and service industry.
Managers, Supervisors and Health and Safety Professionals
This course will help improve your understanding of the drug and alcohol screening process and special procedures that apply, legislative requirements and process for developing / implementing a workplace drug and alcohol testing program.
There are no set pre-requisites for entry into this program. However, this program does include the following to successfully complete all components –
- physical ability to perform testing such as setting up a work area and operating testing equipment;
- ability to understand and interpret technical information eg: infection control and safety procedures;
- ability to accurately record written information;
- ability to communicate results and appropriate information to various stakeholders including donors, workplace managers and pathology laboratories.
If further information is required please contact us on 1300 591 548 or firstname.lastname@example.org
WHY STUDY WITH US?
Industry Developed Programs
KINNECT delivers in excess of 10,000 test per year. This, along with continuous industry consultation ensures the programs we deliver are addressing current workplace requirements.
Flexible Delivery Options
Programs delivered to suit your work and lifestyle needs with the ability to switch between delivery styles. No penalty for changing the way you want to learn.
The KINNECT Training guarantee means we’re here to support you in the 12 months following your course. Attend any scheduled public face to face course for Workplace Drug and Alcohol Testing – it’s on us! (subject to availability)
FACE TO FACE COURSE DATES
Is this Workplace Drug and Alcohol Testing Course recognised in different industries?
Successful completion of this program results in the Nationally Recognised Unit of Competency HLTPAT005 Collect Specimens for drugs of abuse testing. It is resognised across all industries and includes people working in collection centres.
Can I do workplace drug testing throughout Australia after I finish this course?
Yes. It is recognised in all states.
How long does it take to get my certificate for Workplace Drug and Alcohol Testing?
KINNECT Training works in conjunction with Trainwest (RTO 51807) and we aim to have Statements of Attainment issued within 48 hours. If you have an urgent need for the certificate to be issued please let us know in advance and we will do our best to assist.
Do you sell drug and alcohol testing equipment?
KINNECT Training can assist with the purchase of drug and alcohol testing equipment. This includes urine test cups, saliva test swabs and breathalysers. KINNECT Training partners with leading equipment suppliers for the sale of everything you need for workplace testing programs. We can even make sure the equipment that you need for your testing program is available in the training program so you are confident with all equipment when doing your testing. Contact us for more information.
Does this course have an expiry date?
No, there is no expiry date set on this qualification but it is expected that all people maintain currency in performing this work to be deemed a competent workplace drug and alcohol tester.
Do I need to do a refresher course?
This depends on the work that you are doing and the professional development you are getting. We recommend a refresher program be completed every 2 years if your exposure to workplace drug and alcohol testing is limited.
What types of drug and alcohol testing is included in this program?
You will be trained in performing breath alcohol, oral fluid drug tests and urine fluid drug tests.
What is the blended delivery program?
This type of program delivery allows you to complete the theoretical component online and undertake the practical component at a time and place that is suitable for you. This includes our network of clinics around Australia including Cairns, Townsville, Mackay, Rockhampton, Gladstone, Sunshine Coast, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sydney (Mascot and Macquarie Park), Melbourne and Perth.
Webinars can also be completed with a KINNECT Training Assessor to complete the practical and introduce you to the processes of testing. A competent workplace Supervisor may also be able to witness your practical component.
Where and when can I complete the practical session?
You will need to contact us on 1300 591 548 to arrange a suitable time for yourself and the Assessor. Our large network of qualified Assessors means that we can offer a variety of options to complete this component. We have clinics in Brisbane, Sydney (Mascot and Macquarie Park), Melbourne, Perth, Cairns, Townsville, Mackay, Rockhampton, Gladstone, Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast.
What platform is used for the webinars?
KINNECT Training uses the webinar platform Zoom . If your organisation has another platform that is needed to be used due to IT security please contact us to discuss.
Is there support available when completing the online component of this course?
Absolutely. You can access a trainer at any stage via the message feature in the learning management system, by direct email or phone support is available. The KINNECT Training Knowledge Base is also available for you to refer to at any time which has research, videos, templates and links to valuable recognised sites to help you maintain skills in drug and alcohol testing.
What is expected of a workplace drug and alcohol tester?
As a workplace drug and alcohol tester the following would be expected of you in the workplace.
- Collect specimens via urine, oral fluid and breath,
- Perform your duties in a health care environment and workplaces requiring onsite testing to manage fitness for work,
- Be required to confirm collection requirements, prepare client and equipment and explain procedures and results to individuals and management,
- Have the skills and knowledge required to use drug and alcohol testing equipment and collect specimens,
- Individuals working in collection roles are expected to have the knowledge required to confirm collection requirements, prepare client,
- Undertake testing following the special circumstances seen in a workplace such as an accident,
- Provide advice on services available and how people may apply for drugs information,
- You are expected to undertake a workplace drug tester course includes oral and breath testing to meet the standard for testing.
HOW TO GET STARTED
We Make Contact
After you enrol we will contact you to confirm your details, where the training will be held and if you have any dietary requirements. If you’re completing a blended delivery we will make sure you know how to access all the resources needed.
Enjoy your course! If you have specific questions be sure to ask your Trainer and participate in the discussions. After the course you will be given access to the KT Knowledge Base. A site dedicated to keeping Workplace Drug and Alcohol Testers up to date.